- Phone the leader prior to the bushwalk or other outdoor activity to ensure you are fit enough for the activity grade of difficulty.
- Children are welcome to attend suitable activities provided they are under the care of a responsible adult and the leader has agreed to take them on the activity.
- The leader may refuse to take you if he or she feels you do not have appropriate clothing and equipment, so talk to the leader prior to attending the activity if you are uncertain what to bring.
- Arrive at the starting point prior to the advertised starting time.
- Members and visitors are required to sign an activity risk waiver form prior to participating in any outdoor activity.
- Carry 1-2 litres of water and food for lunch, plus a little extra food in case of delays or accidents.
- Wear or carry clothing and footwear suitable for the walking conditions and the expected overnight temperatures. You may need extra clothing if delayed overnight due to accidents, difficult terrain or poor weather.
- In cooler weather you will need a fleece jacket or jumper, warm hat and gloves.
- Liloing also requires a lilo, a wetsuit and a change of clothing kept in a waterproof sack.
- Take suitable weather protection measures, which will usually include a hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, lip balm, insect repellent, rain gear.
- Carry suitable equipment which may include first aid kit, whistle, map, compass and torch.
- A small daypack (20-35 litres capacity) is recommended to carry your gear.
During the activity participants should:
- Follow the leader’s instructions
- Behave in a courteous, cooperative and helpful manner towards other members of the group
- Avoid leaving the activity early unless the leader has agreed and has assigned someone to accompany them
- Aim to stay with the group and avoid falling behind the person designated by the leader as the tail of the group
- Abide by the Bushwalkers Code in order to minimise the environmental impact.
After the activity participants should:
- Ensure the leader is aware of the participant’s safe return
- Thank the leader for organising the activity